I’ve had this sketch for about 3 years kicking around in my studio:
I’ve tried, on a few occasions, to flesh it out with little success. Nothing I did seemed “right”.
The other day, I was scrolling through my files, and found the old sketch and decided I was going to take another stab at it. I placed the sketch in illustrator, and started inking:
It started to feel good, and I was happy with the results. It then occurred to me WHY I was not completely happy with previous attempts to bring this girlie to life: The lines on the motorcycle were all wrong. Not the body lines – they are interpretive – the forks!
So, after struggling with the stupid forks (which should have been the easy part) I got the sketch inked out and ready for colour:
The colour has been slow-going too. I wanted to create this illustration entirely in Illustrator, with no post work in Photoshop. I want to make the chrome, chromey and the paint look shiny and “real”. That means lots of layers of colour, gradients and blending modes. Probably more than is necessary – but I’m trying to please myself… ’nuff said.
As this illustration progresses, I’ll try to get more WIPs posted.
That’s all for now.